Can parents or young people ask for advice from a particular person?

Yes, a parent or young person can ask the LA to seek advice from anyone within education, health or social care, if it is a reasonable request. This can include a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist, physiotherapist or someone from CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services).

A request would be considered reasonable where, for example, a child or young person has been identified as needing an assessment already and they are on a waiting list, or where the school, college or other professionals have said this advice may be needed.

It is best to request that a professional is approached in writing (either in a letter or an email), so that you have a record of your request.

Skip to content