Who can request an EHC assessment?

The following people have a specific right under the Children’s & Families Act 2014 to ask a local authority to conduct an EHC assessment for a child or young person aged between 0 and 25:

  • The child’s parent
  • A young person over the age of 16 but under the age of 25, and
  • A person acting on behalf of a school or post-16 institution (the SEND Code of Practice states that this should be with the knowledge and agreement of the parent or young person where possible).

In addition, anyone else can bring a child or young person who has (or may have) SEN to the attention of the local authority, particularly where they think an EHC needs assessment may be necessary. This could include, for example, health and social care professionals, early years practitioners, this should be done with the knowledge and, where possible, agreement of the child’s parent or the young person.

Where a child or young person has been brought to the local authority’s attention, they must determine whether an EHC needs assessment is required.

There is a right to request an assessment up to the young person’s 25th birthday.

Skip to content